Anshul is a Partner with the Corporate practice group. Anshul specialises in labour and employment laws and leads the Firm’s Employment, Labour and Benefits Practice. Anshul has advised various prominent domestic and international clients on issues related to employment in respect of statutory labour compliance, transfer and relocation of employees pursuant to business transfers and asset sale and purchase, social security and employee benefits issues and documentation, drafting of human resource and personnel policies, hiring and termination of entry level, managerial and supervisory personnel, workers and labour union issues, domestic enquiries including strategy and documentation, industrial safety and health policies, workforce restructuring including strategising various employee exit scenarios, government inspections and representations before the appropriate authorities.
He also advises clients on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, joint ventures and business transfers. Anshul has extensive experience in negotiating and drafting transaction documents and advising domestic and foreign corporations on corporate and regulatory issues.
Mergers and Acquisitions:
- Germanischer Lloyd AG on acquisition of Garrad Hassan Group Limited, having deal size of USD 83 million;
- Umicore AG on 100% acquisition of Anandeya Zinc Oxides Private Limited, India;
- TT Electronics plc in relation to 100% sale of the Indian target, MMG-India Private Limited to Delta Group, India;
- NTT Data Corporation, Japan on merger of its subsidiary Knight Subsidiary Corporation with Keane International Inc., USA;
- Ariba Inc., USA sale of its consulting services and business process outsourcing services assets to Accenture;
- Red Gate Software Limited, UK on acquisition of Cerebrata Software Private Limited’s trademark and software applications along with third party usage software application contracts;
- Krosaki Harima Corporation, Japan on acquisition of majority stake in Tata Refractories Limited having deal size of USD 128 million;
- Hoerbiger GmbH on acquisition of majority stake in Gala Precision Technologies India Private Limited, India;
- Babcock & Wilcox Power Generation Group, USA in relation to its joint venture with Thermax Limited in India;
- Arcapita Bank, Bahrain on acquisition of Polygel Technologies India Private Limited, India;
- Lyceum Capital Partners, UK on acquisition of majority stake in McKinnon and Clarke, UK;
- ITE Group Plc on acquisition of Expomedia Group subsidiaries in India;
- Verifone UK on acquisition of electronic payments terminal business of Gemalto Holdings NV, Netherlands;
- Maurer Sohne GmbH and its subsidiary, Transtec Investment GmbH on acquisition of Sanfield India Limited, India;
- Springer Science+Business Media GmbH in relation to its acquisition of pharmaceutical and healthcare related marketing and publishing services business from Wolters Kluwer India;
- Pepe Jeans SL on its investment in India;
- Nomura Research Institute Japan on its acquisition of Anshin Software Private Limited, India;
- CCS Inc, Japan on setting up its business in India;
- Thomson Reuters Corporation, USA on the sale of its Portia business division to SS&C Technologies Inc., USA;- Thomson Reuters Corporation, USA on the sale of its global healthcare business to Veritas Capital, USA;
- Seclore Technology Private Limited on the venture capital investment by Helion Venture Partners and VenturEast;
- Quest Diagnostics Inc., USA on the sale of diagnostic kits import and distribution business to Radiometer Corp, Denmark, a subsidiary of Danaher Corporation, USA;
- Sika AG, Switzerland on the acquisition of Texsa India Limited;
- Open Text Corporation on the acquisition on the acquisition of Cordys Software Private Limited as part of the global acquisition of Cordys Group;
- Georg von Holtzbrinck GmbH & Co. KG on merger of the Target, i.e., Springer Science+Business Media Gmbh in its entirety with the majority of Holtzbrinck-owned Macmillan Science and Education (MSE), namely Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan and the global businesses of Macmillan Education.
Labour and Employment:
- Merck & Co. Inc., USA on various employment and labour compliance related issues in relation to its merger with Schering- Plough Corporation which has been renamed Merck & Co., Inc along with advice on issues related to industrial safety and health;
- Total SA., France on issues such as labour transfer, social security liabilities, transfer and retrenchment of workmen in relation to the sale of businesses of coatings resins of Cray Valley (Europe, Asia, South Africa) and Cook Composite Polymers (United States), as well as the photocure resins of Sartomer (Europe, United States, Asia) to Arkema S.A., France, having deal size of USD 720 million;
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory, Inc, Japan on issues concerning transfer of employees and other issues related to social security and service terms in relation to the purchase of the infusions business from Claris Lifesciences;
- Hospira, Inc on labour compliance, employment registrations and social security accruals transfer in relation to the purchase of the injectables business of Orchid Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Limited;
- Wilbur-Elis Company, USA on labour union and employee transfer issues as well as labour law compliance in relation to its acquisition of the pharmaceutical product distribution business of Indchem International India;
- Johns Hopkins University, USA on the drafting of its human resource policies and issues in relation to compliance with the local social security laws;
- Graduate Management Admission Council, USA in relation to employment of senior management personnel including drafting of employment contract and personnel policy in India;
- Expedia Inc. on matters related to applicability of social security laws and related compliances in India as well as compliances in relation to engagement of contractors and contract labour in India;
- Fosroc International Inc. on the matters related to employee termination in India;
- Lutron Inc on matters relating to employment contract drafting, ocal filings and compliances on social security laws as well as employee termination and related procedure;
- Elul Tamarind Limited, Israel on matters related to drafting of consultancy agreement, employment contract and compliance under the applicable social security laws;
- Nokia Corporation on issues related to worker retrenchment and statutory compensation;
- Sodexo on matters related to disciplinary proceedings against employees and drafting of correspondence to terminate the services of the employee;
- Barclays plc on matters related to contract labour deployment, employee termination and statutory redundancy compensation;
- Q-Railing GmbH on matters related to employee termination and redundancy compensation as well as disciplinary proceedings;
- Hardcastle Restaurants Private Limited (McDonalds) on issues related to minimum wage compliance, labour welfare fund, employee termination and redundancy;
- Assa Abloy in relation to matters related to employee exits and related documentation;
- Convergys Corporation on matters related to employee recruitment, executive compensation, employee benefit plans, personnel policy manuals, harassment at workplace, domestic enquiries and social security contributions;
- Black & Veatch Inc. on matters related to industrial safety and health, liabilities of directors, labour inspections, domestic enquiry procedures, employee exit procedure and strategy;
- Rexam Plc on issues related to labour union activities, unrest, collective bargaining agreements, domestic enquiries and disciplinary actions;
- Elliot Group on aspects of social security contributions for foreign employees in India, contract labour and compliance issues;
- Expedia Inc. on employee suspension and subsequent termination on grounds of gross misconduct;
- Brady Corp on employee maternity benefits, discrimination claims, employee retention and severance compensation;
- RICS on various employment issues concerning employee discipline, data privacy, employee exit, prevention of sexual harassment at workplace, human resource policies;
- SPX Flow on issues related to workers’ union and industrial relations; Benteler on employee grievance redressal mechanism, misconduct, domestic enquiry and employee exit strategy;
- Meidensha Corporation on employee policies concerning leave entitlement, disciplinary proceedings, standing orders under the applicable laws;
- Sophos Group Plc on strategizing employee exits across different employee levels and categories including documentation and scripts.
Publications and Presentations:
- Contributed to the India chapter of The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Employment & Labour Law 2011 published by Global Legal Group.
- Contributed to the India Chapter of Labour Law – A Practical Global Guide (2011) published by Globe Law and Business.
- Contributed to the India chapter of The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Employment & Labour Law 2012 published by Global Legal Group.
- Contributed to the India Chapter of Employment & Labour Law – Jurisdictional Comparisons (2012) published by Sweet & Maxwell.
- Contributed to the India Chapter of Employment & Labour Law – Jurisdictional Comparisons (2014) published by Thomson Reuters.
- Contributed to the India Chapter of Employment & Labour Law – Jurisdictional Comparisons (2015) published by Thomson Reuters.
- Contributed to the India Chapter of Global Legal Insights to Employment & Labour Law (2017) published by Global Legal Group.
- Ranked Tier 1 for Employment & Labour Practice by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017