Mr. J.W. Rodney Peyton OBE is internationally highly regarded as an accomplished consultant trauma surgeon, author and trainer with a longstanding commitment to surgical education, and a proven track record of pro-activity in developing and implementing both clinical and training initiatives.
He has been involved in medico-legal reporting and court appearances as an expert witness since 1983, and is a founding member of the Expert Witness Institute. He has an expanding role in providing an independent expert opinion in cases of potential medical negligence.
As well as his original medical degree, an MSc in Medical Education and Law degree, Mr. Peyton's almost peerless list of academic distinction includes:
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & ACADEMIC DISTINCTIONS
- FRCS Edinburgh 1977
- FRCS Ireland for services to victims of trauma and developing the ATLS System in the Irish Republic 1993
- FRCS England (by election) for services to Surgical Education in the UK 1995
- FRCP London for services to Medical Education (in Northern Ireland region) 1997
- PGDL, College of Law, London, 1999
- Appointed Miller Professor of Surgery, University of Johannesburg 2001
- Werner Korte Gold Medal for services to German Surgical Education 2002
- International Development Advisor, Royal College of Surgeons, England (Tutor since 1994, Principal Tutor for Faculty Development 2003-2008)
- Medal of the Swedish Surgical Society for services to medical education 2005
- FRCS Glasgow for international services to medicine 2008
- Rudolf Pichlmayr Medaille of the German Surgical Society
Responsible for the development of appraisal and assessment workshops on behalf of the Royal College of Surgeons, his best-selling book Appraisal & Assessment in Medical Practice offers a practical guide for all involved in setting up and running appraisal/assessment systems in a medical environment.