Having previously spent 20+ years working between Hong Kong, the Cayman Islands, the British Virgin Islands and the UK, Gwynn Hopkins founded Perun Consultants in 2017.
Gwynn has worked as an insolvency practitioner and forensic accountant on a wide range of local and cross-border engagements and has a proven track record in the liquidation and restructuring of international financial services companies, particularly those involving complex litigation or with contentious matters to resolve. Having led teams for many years as a partner in the Caribbean and Hong Kong, Gwynn has a thorough understanding of both the onshore and offshore aspects of appointments.
In addition, Gwynn has extensive experience in forensic accounting assignments including asset-tracing and recovery engagements; due diligence investigations; and the preparation of loss of profits and asset valuation reports. Gwynn also takes roles such as acting as a consultant or an appointed independent director or trustee to assist distressed entities.
Gwynn has been recognised by Who's Who Legal: Consulting Experts in the fields of both forensic accounting and quantum of damages, where he is described as having "a mind like a steel trap according to respondents, who have the utmost confidence in his views on valuation issues and methodologies".
- Valuation of a financial services group for breach of contract litigation.
- Valuation of a medical device manufacturer for shareholders dissenting to a merger under Cayman Islands S238 proceedings.
- Valuation of an internet company for shareholders dissenting to a merger under Cayman Islands S238 proceedings.
- Valuation of a medical research company for shareholders dissenting to a merger under Cayman Islands S238 proceedings.
- Provision of expert opinion on valuation methodology and whether information sought in discovery was relevant to the valuation process.
- Valuation of joint venture company created to distribute film and television productions, in support of designated expert witness in arbitration.
- Valuation of joint venture company created to undertake public relations and marketing communications consultancy work, in support of designated expert witness in arbitration.
- Part of quantum expert defence team in a USD100 million claim against a manufacturer arising from alleged supply of defective goods.
- Serving as a board member of a private equity business to deal with extensive litigation issues and the sale of an operating asset worth in excess of USD1 billion.
- Analysis of financial records of a manufacturing company to assist in recovery action against a former director.
- Liquidator of Parmalat Capital Finance Limited, a Cayman Islands treasury company affected by a multi-billion dollar fraud.
- Liquidator of Kingate Global Fund and Kingate Euro Fund; two BVI based funds affected by the Madoff fraud.
- Liquidator of a media investment company.
- Liquidator of Bank of Antigua.
- Appointed as Trustee to investigate activities of, and recover assets for, a trust with investments involved in the Landsbanki bank fraud.
- Liquidator of three connected property holding companies with extensive shareholder dispute issues to be resolved.
- Receiver of a St. Lucian company which was exposed to the Madoff fraud.
- Assisting the liquidator of five connected companies with pursuit and recovery of assets in Russia.
- Advised on the restructuring of a corporate property portfolio involving numerous cross-ownership and cross-guarantee issues.
- Consultant to US receiver to assist in securing and recovering assets in Hong Kong and mainland China.
- Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- Certified Public Accountant (Hong Kong)
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Specialist Qualification (Insolvency) issued by the HKICPA
- Diploma in International Financial Reporting Standards
- Joint Insolvency Examination Board examination
- Ordre des Experts-Comptables & ACCA joint certificate in business valuations