Alexandru worked and studied in a wide span of legal areas including banking, capital markets, EU consumer protection, financial instruments and cross-border commercial arbitration. Alexandru graduated from the Faculty of Law of the University of Bucharest. He worked with RTPR-Allen Overy on banking regulations early in his career. He then pursued a tri-lingual MBA from Deusto University, Spain and an LLM. Alexandru was a visiting lawyer in the London office of Baker Botts, covering arbitration and corporate matters. Prior to that, Alexandru worked for the World Bank in Trade and Competitiveness, covering competition law and policy, insolvency, enforcing contracts for doing business. He clerked for the European Court of Justice and European Investment Bank. Alexandru was a Fulbright scholar and Wien Corporate Responsibility Fellow at Columbia Law School where he obtained the Masters Degree in Law. In 2019, Alexandru was admitted to the New York State bar. Alexandru is a frequent speaker at conferences relating to international arbitration.
- Represented a Latin-American state against a tax related investment claim brought by a world leader in canned tuna fish production.
- Represented a leading telecommunications company in an investment dispute against a CIS State.
- Represented a global oil exploration company in a dispute with an Angolan state company in an ICC arbitration.
- Represented a blockchain infrastructure company in a cross-jurisdictional effort for incorporation and complying with EU regulations.
- Acted as main legal expert on enforcing commercial contracts for the World Bank and helped drafting the Doing Business Report.
- Provided advisory services related to the reform of the insolvency legal framework and creditors/debtors’ rights in Romania.
- Provided legal and policy input for WB recommendations on the Personal Insolvency Law.
- Developed evidence-based policy and regulatory formulation skills by working on the Regulatory Impact Assessment guidelines in Romania (economic analysis, stakeholders’ consultations, regulatory methodologies).
- Worked with the Romanian Competition Council on improving their efficiency as an antitrust regulator.
- Represented a regional Bank for the acquisition of a Romanian bank pertaining to a retail shares buy-out.
- Worked closely with European Investment Bank for the review of loan collateral and derivative collateral agreements based on their ISDA agreements.
- Represented a London-based blockchain company in commercial activities and developing their B2C and B2B offer for services.
- Columbia University School of Law, 2017, LL.M
- University of Bucharest, 2014, LL.M International Arbitration
- Universidad de Deusto, 2008, MBA
- Ecole de Management de Nantes Audencia, 2008, MA
- University of Bucharest, 2007, BA Law