At the end of 2020, the Maltese government launched its new Malta Citizenship by Investment program. Replacing the Malta Individual Investor program, the Malta Citizenship by Naturalization for Exceptional Services (MEIN) offers Maltese citizenship to investors who make a significant contribution to the country’s economy. The applications are all processed by the Community Malta Agency, which grants citizenship to up to 400 investors per year until the scheme reaches its cap of 1,500.
Why apply for the MEIN?
Praised for its beauty, high quality of life, and favorable tax regime, Malta is one of Europe’s favorite destinations for expats. By applying to MEIN, investors and their families are able to obtain a Maltese passport in 12 to 36 months (depending on the investment).
The Maltese passport grants visa-free access to over 183 countries, freedom of movement in the Schengen Area, and residency in one of Europe’s safest and most stable countries.
Eligibility for Malta Citizenship by Investment
In order to be eligible for MEIN, applicants must fulfill several criteria:
- Be over the age of 18
- Have a clean criminal record and pass a stringent due diligence process
- Not be from one of the ‘banned’ countries list
- Fulfill all the necessary investment requirements.
To qualify for Maltese citizenship, investors need to fulfill a list of mandatory financial requirements:
- Make a minimum contribution of €600,000 to the national development fund and prove 36 months of residency, or make a contribution of €750,000 and show evidence of 12 months residency.
- In addition to the contribution, invest €700,000 in residential real estate, or enter into a rental agreement at a minimum value of €16,000 per annum which must be maintained for five years.
- Donate €10,000 to a registered philanthropic, cultural, sport, scientific, animal welfare, or artistic non-governmental approved organization or society.
For more information on Malta Citizenship by Investment Program, visit our Malta Citizenship by Investment Ultimate Guide 2021.
Global Citizen Solutions
Golden Visa & Residency Services
Rua Marquês de Fronteira, 8, 4E,